Sunday, April 6, 2014

Setting Goals and Reaching New Ones

I could feel the wind stinging my face turning my cheeks a bright pink, my shoes were covered in mud and soaking wet leaving my feet feeling frozen, my nose started running, but I continued to push and run faster. The voices in my head saying, "keep going, don't stop now!" It was a miserable Saturday run as it had rained the past two days and was still cloudy and cold. The path was muddy and slippery. The wind picked up and the water on the lake rippled and looked like the ocean with every large gust. The fishermen sat bundled on the shore. At this moment I wanted to give up but wanted so badly to achieve my goal and run that half mile that I had left of the trail. I had set a goal, I was going to reach it, and I did just that!

After running I started to reflect upon my week as a teacher. This was my last week with a full course load. I was reluctant to give up that first class even though I have had a full course load for longer then Penn State requires. I can't help but think that I'm not done yet! They haven't learned and mastered everything yet. I wasn't satisfied with myself or the work I had done as a teacher with the class. Then I thought about it some more. As I grow and learn to be a teacher this might just be the toughest part for me. It's just my personality to set high expectations and ever higher goals for myself. Reconsidering I realized that the students did achieve several goals from when I first started with the class over two months ago! The grades increased and with every project I saw all my students skills increase each individually in different ways. Not everyday was great or perfect thats for sure but they were sad when I told them it was my last day and so I must have made some impression.

My personality has never been to quit or give up. I never leave projects unfinished and stick with something until I get it right! Of course I want just that for my students also. My time with that class was defiantly a learning experience. Behavior problems, bullying, and just having a shop class full of high school boys last period of the day makes for an interesting situation. I'm not leaving the class with every student being as sufficient at electrical wiring as I would have hoped but I'm leaving them knowing that they the have the basic skills and the ability to continue their education in wiring if they so choose.

As the teacher I realized that I also accomplished my goals. I managed a tough class in the shop, learned a whole lot about electrical wiring, and brought the students closer as friends. We talked about passing classes, motivation and work ethic, how to treat others, and life after graduation. It wasn't perfect but sitting and thinking about my weeks spend in that class as the teacher I feel a sense of accomplishment! I actually achieved more goals then I had originally set for myself. The students were sad to see me leave their class and I was actually sad also.

No comments:

Post a Comment