Monday, March 10, 2014

Seeing Results

Another eventful busy week in the books! With six classes I never have a free moment during the school day. Having all of my classes for the past few weeks this week I really felt like I started seeing student achievement in the shop. This was AWESOME!

As a teacher there are different ways we can assess student learning. In the classroom we can use projects, exams, quizzes, questioning, and group work. In the shop though everything changes. Sure we still use project rubrics and ways to grade our students. Something else is different though…most of the time we see a positive change in attitude and work ethic. 

Thus far I have four classes in the shop working on various projects. Studying different topics from small gas engines, welding, and electrical wiring all these classes are now completing some type of project on their own or with a group during class time. I realized some changes within my students. Here are a few short stories from this week in the shop….

Small Gas Engine Teardown
Students in the classroom who like to talk, answer questions, and contribute in any way possible are pretty hard workers! I noticed this within my small gas engine class and others. In my small gas engine class I have one student in particular who loved to help in any way possible during class time. I enjoyed his enthusiasm but found keeping him quite sometimes to be a challenge. Once we started engine teardown though he couldn't be stopped! He has a extraordinary work ethic and enjoys working on the engines. I believe that students like this one enjoy the hands on learning that this and every ag class offers and benefits from completing projects and seeing things first hand. 

Practice before the
real deal!
On the other end of the spectrum I also have students who have a hard time focusing in the classroom for several different reasons from behavior problems to IEP's. I was moved this past week with their work in the shop! Two classes in particular are working on a shop feed scoop project while practicing arc welding at the same time. During instruction time I am focused on helping those weld. I saw a complete turn around in attitude and overall happiness in those particular students as soon as we entered the shop. While I always try to make classroom instruction engaging there is just something about them succeeding on their own that helps to change their attitude. I had a blast working with them! Seeing some of their faces light up when I encouraged them was cool and I got to know them a little better through one on one instruction. 

Surprises are fun! This week I was shocked by the talent I have in my classes. Students who I never guessed would have exceeded at welding or were terrified ran great beads (shout out to the ladies who killed it). I also have some really talented electricians who are quickly picking up wiring switches. 
Student Wiring Project

As I reflected on this week I found myself feeling like a proud parent. I know some of those parents I met in parent teacher conferences would have been proud to see their sun or daughter working this week! Though I see success in the classroom this week I was really feeling the rewards of being a teacher. It was more then just student success through testing…it was overall student success through content understanding and pure enjoyment. That's the main goal right! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment