Sunday, March 2, 2014

First Full Week

It's crazy to think that I started this journey four weeks ago and this week was my first full week of classes. Finally no holidays, snow days, or two hour delays to mess up the schedule. Of course this was also the busiest week yet as I had something going on after school almost every night. Even though by the end of this busy week I was completely exhausted I have some really cool things to share!

Soil Texture Test
My wildlife class has been working hard on their mammal and game bird identification so I decided to switch it up this week and take a break from identification. We studied habitat and diversity, and carrying capacity. The class conducted an experiment on carrying capacity using balloons! This was awesome we simulated the habitat for yeast by the size the balloon blew up. On Tuesday night after school a few of my students from class met at the extension office for Envirothon training. The lesson this training session was on Pennsylvania fish, reptiles, and soil. I also got a lot of good resources that I could use in my classroom when preparing students for the Envirothon. The next day in class we had an Evirothon training recap. I had the students that were able to come to the training run a few stations on the different topics and teach the rest of the class what they learned. This worked awesome! The students teaching did a good job sharing the materials and running the stations. I also think this helped spark more of interest in the Envirothon trainings and I'm hoping to increase our numbers for next week!

Carrying Capacity Experiment!
or are we blowing up balloons for the banquet
months in advance? 
On another note man are demonstrations in front of students nerve wrecking! I had to complete two demonstrations this week and I don't think the students noticed but I think they went pretty rough. Being sick didn't help the coughing, man voice and blowing my nose every fifteen minutes was just annoying and uncomfortable. So add that to twenty students either staring at you and thats a difficult situation. The first was my agriscience and technology class. Finally they are getting to the shop! This class is ready…hopefully we will see a huge motivation increase with this hands on project. Now I would just like to state that I have made two feed scoops on my own to practice and they turned out beautifully! With twenty students breathing down my throat watching my every move I can say it went ok! After the demonstrations they where ready to start the project and I began teaching arc welding. I was also nervous about this but only because I know this is a first time thing for most of my students and they were nervous. My first three did awesome and I can't wait to get more in the booth tomorrow!
Feed Scoop Demonstrations! 
Trying on Welding
Equipment!

Student help with the Demo

Wiring Demonstrations!
My second demonstration this past week was in my mechanics class. Electric wiring……dun dun dun….My worst subject at the moment. This has been a tough one. The students are challenging with their questions and I have a tough time answering them. You know they are so descriptive "I have this one switch in my house and it turns this one light on and my microwave, what kind is it?"….lets just say by the end of the question my mind is twisted. Well they are finally getting to the shop! I had to demonstrate the single poled switch…cake mode….so I thought! I was prepared but everything that could go wrong went wrong! It started off on a bad foot when Mr. Hines had to take another student into the other room to "talk" about behavior. A few other things went wrong that took more time then expected but in the end we got the demonstration completed and they are ready to begin their projects!

While this was a busy week in the classroom I was extremely happy most of my classes are starting to get into the shop! It's fun to see their expressions when they complete part of projects or are really into what they are doing and enjoying it.

This week was also extremely busy after school. I went to Envirothon training Tuesday night and got to meet everyone at the local extension office. Wednesday night we stayed late to help manage the chapter public speaking contest. My creed speakers I had been training did an awesome job! Thursday was parent teacher conferences and I had my opportunity to meet some of my students parents and learn a little more about my students.


This week was the first full week and defiantly the most rewarding!



Meagan Moment- I thought I could escape school Tuesday without the students knowing it was my birthday! They found out and Wednesday brought a cake to early morning parli pro practice! How thoughtful!!







No comments:

Post a Comment