Sunday, March 2, 2014

Connecting to Classes

After coming back from ACES and then having a day off this week flew by!

I spent the week getting to know my students more! With picking up almost all of my classes I teach almost every class period of the day. However only one of those classes have I been their only teacher. Some classes rotate on a quarterly basis but most run for a year. I started fresh with the small gas engines class but all the others have previously had Mr. Hines or Mrs. Miller.

This week I realized a major difference in those classes. I noticed that the students in my small gas engines class relied more on me as their teacher and connected with me easier. They seemed to be enjoying the class more. Not that my other classes are not enjoying class but they seem hesitant to trust me sometimes.

I expected this as student teaching is hard for the students also! To them I'm just some random person who they will only have to see for a given amount of time and then I will move on to another class or leave the school completely before their school is out for summer.

With this comes hesitation and behavior issues but also new friends! The negatives of this make me work harder! I use my ticket out questions to get to know my students more and connect with them. I also try talking to them in the hallway and other times in between class. I encourage everyone to get involved with FFA and ask about other things they are involved in.

It's been a slow process but then again so has school days! It seems that once I connect with a few students in a given class period the rest just sorta follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment