Friday, October 4, 2013

Demonstration Struggles

This weeks lab was on creating a demonstration that could be used in the classroom. The demonstration had to be for an ag mechanics class. Since I will be teaching a whole class on small gas engines I decided to use one of my lessons for the beginning of engine tear down. Needless to say this was not my best lesson ever and everything that could go wrong did.

I started off the class with bell work after the students walked in to class for the day. Everyone was a little tired at 8am. In previous classes we discussed safety and lab procedures so I had them talk with a partner to practice what was previously learned. To simulate a real class situation I also had the students pass in the safety procedure sheet they would have gotten signed by their parents. For the interest approach I asked a student to show the class how they would start the 2 stroke engine. When the rewind cord broke (on purpose) we talked about why this might happen like weathering or overuse.

Next I demonstrated how to replace the rewind starter cord. The demonstration was going well until I couldn't get the cord through the holes in both the shroud and spring. No matter how many times I practiced it the night before it didn't work during class. This however turned out to be the least of my problems because when I had the students demonstrate to the class the spring inside the shroud broke. (not on purpose)

I thought I handled the situation as best as I could by watching the students technique and then when I realized it was actually broke and they were completing the right steps I positively reassured the students that they were completing the right steps and that we could move on to practice in the lab.


Oh well better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment